Simply Decadent Owner

Simply Decadent Owner
Hey, It's me, Tawnya

Monday, July 27, 2009

Italian Cream Cake


Well everyone for the last week I have had this incredible urge to bake everything in every cookbook and magazine I have. Believe me when I say, i could feed a whole country if I baked from all of them. I have quite an addiction to cooking magazines and cookbooks. I love them. I hate to admit, but I actually keep a few beside the bed to read when I go to bed at night. Now, how crazy is that....lol Oh well, I kind of enjoy crazy. I made an Italian Cream Cake and thought that you would all love to try it. It is so delightful.


1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter (yes, the real thing)
1/2 cup shortening (I use Butter Crisco)
2 cups white granuated sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flaked coconut
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour


Icing:

8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter (yes, real thing again--you can't beat it)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cups sweetened flaked coconut
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 3 - 9 inch round cake pans. in a small bowl, dissolve the baking sode in the buttermilk, set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter, shortening and white sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk mixture, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup coconut, baking powder and flour. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Allow to cool.

To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, 1 tsp vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Mix in a small amount of cream to attain the desired consistency. Stir in the chopped nuts and remaining coconut. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Brazil, Indiana, United States
I have a restaurant in Brazil, Indiana named Simply Decadent Cafe & Catering. I also do full event catering along with wedding/party planning. I must admit I am horribly addicted to coffee and wild cherry diet pepsi along with chocolate. I love listening to my MP3 player while I cook and have been known to dance around the kitchen a little. Have to make the kitchen fun don't we? I don't have any formal kitchen training, but have learned a lot over the years from a few fantastic cooks, my grandma being one of them. I love trying new recipes and my customers are always willing to be my taste testers.

Sigma Kappa Party

Sigma Kappa Party
Dessert Buffet